2nd Jogging event : Seven Gods Run (2)

1.Ohtori Shrine
Ohtori Shrine, known for Otori-sama God, has been believed as the god of good luck, business and family fortunes. It was once part of the adjacent temple named Chokoku-ji. They have been famous for their Torinoichi festival from Edo period. This festival is held in November on the day of Tori (Tori means cock or rooster of the oriental zodiac).
02image0124

2.Yoshiwara Shrine
Yoshiwara Shrine is closely related to the development of Yoshiwara Yukaku (red-light district). In 1617, Yoshiwara Yukaku took form on the east side of Nihonbashi-Kayamachi (current location of Ningyo-cho). Later the Yukaku was relocated to the North of Asakusa.
In 1872, five Inari-jinja Shrines in new Yoshiwara and Yoshiwara Benzaiten nearby were enshrined together and renamed as ‘Yoshiwara Shrine’. Yoshiwara Benzaiten has been believed as the god of good luck, thriving business and improving the technique of the arts.

3.Ishihama Shrine
Ishihama Shrine was established on the order of Shomu Emperor in 724. When Minamoto-no-Yorotomo was conquering Oushu (today’s Fukushima, Miyagi, Iwata, Aomori, and a part of Akita Prefecture), he made a contribution by building this shrine. From the beginning of the medieval times, warriors (commander of samurai armies) from Kanto among other worshipers paid their visits to the shrine. Famous for its surrounding, – Sumida River in the East, Fuji Mountain in the West, and Mt. Tsukuba in the north-east, it had been often depicted and introduced in ukiyoe and travel guides in Edo period.

4.Hashiba Fudoson
Hashiba Fudoson, or more correctly, Sunaosan Hashibaji Fudōin, was established by Jakusho-shonin in 760. The main hall was built in 1845. Despite its small size, it maintains the architectural form in Edo period and shows an appearance of beauty and simplicity. The big ginkgo tree on the right side of the main hall is about 700 years old and was said to be the landmark for commuters on the Sumida River in Edo period.
03image0124

5.Imado Shrine
Imado Shrine was established in 1063 when Minamoto-no Yoriyoshi ceremonially transferred Iwashimizu Hachiman in Kyoto to its current location. It had been repeatedly built after disasters including wars and earthquakes. The surrounding was a bustling area as a center of production for Imado unglazed porcelain (Imado-yaki) in Edo period. In recent years, it has become famous as the claimed birthplace of welcome cat or lucky cat (maneki-neko is believed as a symbol of good fortunes and thriving business). Inside the premise of the shrine, you can see a few decorations of maneki-neko.

6.Matsuchiyama Shoden
Matsuchiyama Shoden is the popular name of Honryu-in Temple housing the imagery of Buddha which is prayed to for happy family life, prosperity, and success in business. It is located on a hill named Matsuchiyama (Mt. Matsuchi) and in the past people could enjoy the view from the top of the hill. The Honryu-in Temple legend passes down a story that a golden dragon flew down to Earth in 595 when this temple was first built. The view of Sumida River from Mt. Matsuchiyama was often depicted in Nishikie, colored wooden prints of the Edo period.

7.Asakusa Shrine
Asakusa Shrine honors its founder and three men who discovered the statue of Asakusa Kannon, who is currently enshrined at Senso-ji Temple (point 8). The Shrine’s founder was the third shogun of Tokugawa Shogunate, Tokugawa Ieyasu, who was also known as Gongen-sama. Ieyasu and the three men were enshrined together here and the Shrine was known as Sanja Gongen until 1873 when it was renamed as Asakusa Shrine. The Shrine is famous for its Sanja Festival and its Gongen-zukuri style of architecture. It was designated as an Important Cultural Property by the Japanese government in 1951.

8.Senso-ji Temple
Senso-ji Temple, enshrining Asakusa Kannon, is an ancient Buddhist temple. It is the oldest and one of the most significant temples in Tokyo. Its origin dates back to when two fishermen, the Hinokuma brothers, went fishing in the Sumida River in 628 and found the statue of a Buddhist god in their cast net. The headman of their village, Hanjino Nakatomo, recognized it as the figure of Kannon and enshrined it. Constructed in 1649, Senso-ji Keian Main Hall was a national treasure and later destroyed during the Bombing of Tokyo in 1945. After the war, the main hall was rebuilt in 1958.

9.Yasaki-Inari Shrine
The origin of Yasaki-Inari Shrine can be traced back to Edo Sanjusangen-do, built by Tokugawa Iemitsu (the third shogun of Tokugawa Shogunate) in 1642 as a copy of Sanjusangen-do in Kyoto to encourage military arts. Inari Daimyojin was enshrined as a guardian god of the building. The building was later burnt down however the shrine remained because of the strong request from the neighboring residents. Today, we can see 100 images relating to horse riding painted on the ceiling of the shrine. The Shrine also has a “Horse Archive” which contains materials about the history of horse riding in Japan.

作成者  | 2015-04-14 (火)
タグ : ,

Copyright © 2014 東京大学大学院情報学環吉見俊哉研究室 contact at shinobazu-prj [at] googlegroups.com